How To: Install Free Fonts

how to install fonts

Here is a quick tutorial on how to install all of those cute, free fonts you’ve downloaded to your computer!

STEP ONE | Click on the font that you want to download and then click OK in the dialog box to open with the default program
how to install free fonts

STEP TWO | It will automatically open a new window. Click on the EXTRACT button and then choose where you want the file to open in the drop down menu (I typically choose DESKTOP) and click OK
how to install free fonts

STEP THREE | Go to your desktop where you’ll see the file. Now open up your FONTS folder by going to CONTROL PANEL > FONTS or C: > WINDOWS >FONTS. Click on the font that you just downloaded to your desktop and drag it into your fonts folder. VOILA! You just installed a font! Now you can use it in your word and photo editing programs!
how to install a font

Want to install a font on a MAC? It’s easy too. Just follow the same steps as above only you’ll find your fonts folder by going to: Macintosh HD > Library > Fonts. Just drag and drop your font there!

Click HERE to preview and download 18 of my favorite free fonts.  And since I’m a *bit* font obsessed, you can click HERE to download and preview another 15 of my favorite free fonts. Enjoy!

* The font used in this example is a freebie called “Pea Shelly

Pin It

Comments

1. June says

Whenever I try to drag the unzipped font folder to my open font folder, I get two boxes, one states Cannot install and then “this does not appear to be a valid font” .. the other box is a box that looks like it’s trying to install it but it closes when I close the first box.

• Romy Greenwood says

I’d like some success using downloaded fonts on my MacBook Pro. I see the tutorial helps with Windows. Where did you get help with fonts to a Mac?

• Romy Greenwood says

Sorry! I do see the tutorial directions now. Upon checking my Library>Fonts, I do see the downloaded files. The odd thing is that I don’t see all the many MS Word fonts (such as, Comic Sans). I use MS Word. That is where I would like access to the downloaded fonts.

Thank you!

I’m sorry Romy, I’m not totally sure since I don’t use a Mac. It should populate any font you install into the dropdown bar of the Text tool in your MS word :)

Hi there tto every one, for the reason that I am
    really eager of reading this blog’s post to be updated regularly.
    It contains good data.
    Chris recently posted…ChrisMy Profile

When I initially left a comment I appear to have clickeed on the -Notify me when
    nnew comments are added- checkbox and from now on each
    time a comment is added I get 4 emails with thee exact same comment.

Perhaps there is a means you can remove me from that service?
    Many thanks!

Feel free to vvisit my homepage – weight management
    weight management recently posted…weight managementMy Profile

Trackbacks

1. [...] I linked some of my favorite free fonts, many of y’all had questions on how to install them. So I put together this handy-dandy little tutorial with step-by-step screenshots on how to install f…. I’m very helpful. Also, I was actually just procrastinating doing the dishes. I really hate [...]