I confess that I taught her to say “You Got It, Dude!” because I can’t take her anywhere without people stopping to tell me that she looks “just like that baby from Full House.” The rest of this stuff she came up with all on her own, y’all.
- Scarlette just broke something and I was frustrated so I said “SCARLETTE!” and she threw her hands up and replied “What da heck? You welcome!” like “Woman, why aren’t you appreciating what I just did here?”
- I gave Scarlette an M&M and she said “YEAH! NOW I HAPPY! I SO HAPPY M&M!
- When Scarlette woke up this morning, she said “Oh, um hi. I wan two suhpwises” (I want two surprises) Apparently she has some expectations.
- Today at the store, Scarlette pointed at a random woman and shouted “LOOK! A GRANDMA!”
- Hearing Scarlette over the monitor upon waking: “Mama where you go? I jus don’t know where mama is! I don’t wike dat!
- S kept chanting NO at me so I said “Scarlette, Mommy wants you to use a different word.” And she said “Um…Super Why?”
- I just got on to Scarlette for being naughty & when I took something away she said “HEY WHAT DA HECK JUS HAPPEN?!”
- Lately we’ve been doing “rest time” in the afternoon where she sits in her bed with a book and I take a breather. The other day I was at the end of my rope and I said “LITTLE MISSY!” and Scarlette tilted her head, held her hands out and asked “West time?”
KA: What did you dream about?
KA: Oh, you dreamed about monkeys? What were the monkeys doing?
Scarlette: Eadin shoup. And shangin call me maybe*
(Eating soup and singing call me maybe)
KA: God loves Mommy and God loves Daddy and God loves Scarlette. Who else does God love? (This is where we normally say the names of other family members)
Scarlette: Um, mama? God wuv Super Why?
KA: Um, yes, God loves everybody so He definitely does love Super Why.
Scarlette: YEAH! WUV SUPER WHY! *very serious voice* “And cookies.”
KA: Probably God does love cookies. That’s why we have thin mints.
Later, we go to Publix and she gets a cookie from the bakery
KA: Scarlette, say can you say thank you?
Scarlette: Fank you. God wuv cookies.
KA: Are you ready to go to the store?
Scarlette: YEAH! I go dwibin in my cahsheat!
Conversation with Scarlette at naptime:
Scarlette: Oh, um, okay. BUT I need shum pappers.
KA: I don’t think you need any peppers. I think you need to lay down for naptime!
Scarlette: Oh, um, Mommy? BUT I ask first! I ask first pappers!
KA: Well, that was good that you asked so nicely but we don’t have any peppers. And it is time for nap.
Scarlette: Oh, um, okay. Den I need nine pacis.
Ways Scarlette tried to get out of going to bed:
“I needa wash ma ha-yunds!”
“I need to cwean shings!”
“I need shum corn!”
“I needa take shaw-yur!”
“I needa wock a baby!”
(Translations: “I need to wash my hands, I need to clean things, I need some corn, I need to take a shower, I need to rock the baby.”)
KA: Scarlette! You are super cold!
Scarlette: No! I Super WHY!
To our dog Lucy, in a very serious tone:
Scarlette: Shushi, I’s afwaid. I’s afwaid ub da wyuns. Oh no! What I do? I shang. “Gawud is bigger!”
(Point of reference: Daniel in the Lion’s Den is Scarlette’s favorite Veggie Tales movie. When we are scared, we sing about how God is bigger. Apparently, Lucy Dog is her confidant.)